Going Places: Fernie, BC
Kim Shopland kicks off this winter's first edition of Going Places
Kim Shopland’s a mother of two and partner of Ian Shopland, owner of Straight Line Skis and Bikes in Fernie, B.C.—she’s almost never ever standing still. She’s been a mountain biker for a very long time, but she’s also a crossfit instructor, an avid yoga practitioner, and she standup paddleboards in the summer and skis in the winter. Fernie kicks off this winter's first edition of Going Places. To bookend the year, we’re going to highlight some more-local trips that'll barely cost you a vacation day (a precious commodity around the holidays!).
We visited Kim in Fernie for a bit of a staycation-style weekend – the family was away, and she was eager to show off her town and trails. Read on to see what Kim’s ideal weekend at home looks like.
Day 0: Friday
- Workout Of The Day at Crossfit Fernie in the evening to really get warmed up for the weekend.
- Dinner and cocktails at Nevados. It’s South American-inspired food and there's a very large tequila/mescal cocktail menu. A cool and unique place with a beautiful deck. Right downtown on 2nd Ave.
Day 1: Saturday
- Eggs and Americano at home, on the front deck to get the early sun.
- Up to Big Money. It’s a big climb and my husband helped build it when we moved to town. It’s steep and rough for Fernie and there are some really good challenges on the trail.
- Coffee stop at Valley Social on the way through town. A good place to bump into friends, watch the world go by, or catch up on stories from the neighborhood.
- Continue the ride up Lazy Lizard to Island Lake Lodge. It’s an amazing two-way trail that winds up the valley through sections of old growth cedar forest. Sometimes Ian or I will take turns driving the kids up the road to the lodge and then one of us will ride back down the trail with the kids. It’s great for young kids but it’s also a lot of fun to freewheel down.
- Lunch at the Island Lake Lodge. In the summer months this restaurant has one of the most incredible backdrops anywhere on the globe. In the winter months it’s a cat skiing operation because the snow really fills in this area. If I had the time I could sit and stare at these mountains for hours.
- Ride back down Lazy Lizard and cross over Lizard Creek into Mount Fernie Provincial Park. Ride Gorby, Sherwoody, Happy Gilmore, Ben Emmett trails.
- Hot yoga at Essential Yoga to stretch out the muscles.
- Dinner at Yamagoya, a local sushi joint with fresh fish and refreshing cocktails. It also has a great deck, so sitting outside on a long summer evening is a real pleasure.
Day 2: Sunday
Ride: Sometimes I’ll try get out early because in the middle of summer it can be really hot by midday.
- Up to Montane and HyperVentilation then down Hyperextension.
- Brunch at The Loaf, which has great coffee and incredible baked goods. It’s a great spot for eating real authentic Italian pizzas too.
- If there’s time and the weather looks good, we’ll pack up the paddle boards and drive to Koocanusa for some beach time.
- If I’m lucky and everyone’s still away I’ll squeeze in a massage to really round out the weekend. It soothes all my muscles after an active weekend and leaves me refreshed and ready for the week ahead.
Posted on: October 24 — 2016 | All News